Household Support Fund and Welfare Support Scheme
- The government has provided extra funding to Councils to support those most in need, to help with global inflationary challenges and the significantly rising cost of living.
- This funding covers the period from 1 October 2022 to 31 March 2023.
- The Household Support Fund from 1 October 2022 aims to provide support to Torbay residents who are struggling to afford household essentials such as buying food and paying for energy.
- Money from the Household Support Fund is being allocated to the Welfare Support Schemeto provide additional support for food and a range of other essential living costs.
- Torbay Council are able to consider 2 applications during the period of 1 October to 31 March 2023.
To apply: Apply for the Welfare Support Scheme
You can call Welfare Support on: 0800 9176832
Paper copies of an application form for the Household Support Fund are available at local libraries or from Citizens Advice Torbay.
The Welfare Support Scheme helps Torbay residents meet an essential need. It also aims to assist Torbay residents who need support to establish themselves or maintain their independence in the community.
Who can the scheme help?
To be considered for Welfare Support, you must:
- be over 15 years of age
- live in Torbay
- be on a welfare benefit or have very low disposable income
You may be asked to provide proof of your income, your bank details and other evidence depending on the support you apply for. If you are not in receipt of a Welfare Benefit, please make sure that you list your income and expenditure fully on the application form.
The welfare support scheme can also consider applications for things such as:
- Daily living, including fuel costs paid to landlords and food parcels
- Essential monthly expenditure, which cannot be deferred
- Essential furniture and white goods including fridges, freezers and ovens (normally only if setting up home)
- Boiler service/repair
- Rent in advance
- Rent arrears
- Emergency removals and storage
- Essential prescriptions (if you are not exempt: Who can get free prescriptions – NHS (www.nhs.uk)
- Essential travel that was not expected
- Items not currently accessible through foodbanks e.g. pet food or special dietary needs
- Other immediate support necessary for the fundamental wellbeing of the applicant and family
- Signposting to essential advice and support services
If you are not on a benefit (including Universal Credit) the council will need to see a bank statement that shows your income
Supplying your evidence
- Upload it using the link above on the webpage
- Email it to Welfaresupport@torbay.gov.uk
- Post it to Welfare Support, Torbay Council, Torquay Town Hall, Castle Circus, TQ1 3DS
- Put it in the Welfare Support postbox on the corner of the Town Hall
What happens once I submit my application?
The Welfare support team may call or email you to discuss your application and any supporting evidence we need. Some details of your claim may be checked with the Department of Work and Pensions and other council departments.
Wherever possible, goods and services will be provided. Any help given from the Welfare Support Scheme does not have to be repaid.
Second-hand furniture stores and Charities such as Refurnish 01626 362313 stock items that are offered at a discounted price for those on certain benefits.
Please ensure you provide the council with a contact phone number and an email address if at all possible.
The council are prioritising existing applications for the Household Support Fund and all Welfare Support applications will be considered after this has been completed.
If you are unhappy with a decision the council make about your application you can ask them to look at it.
Extra help with Council Tax
If you get Council Tax Support you can claim extra help with your Council Tax. A downloadable claim form is available.