The Household Support Fund

There is extra funding available from the government’s Household Support Fund which will enable Torbay Council to give people on low incomes financial support, providing help for those who would otherwise struggle with energy bills and food.

The maximum award Torbay Council can provide is £50 towards food and for those applicants who are liable to pay energy costs, another £50 towards those costs (£100 in total).

Who can apply? 

To be considered for Household Support, you must be:

  • over 16 years of age
  • living in Torbay
  • working age and receiving a welfare benefit
  • pension age and receiving pension credit

Only one application will be considered per household for the scheme from 1 April to 30 September 2022. Households that previously applied for support for the period 1 December 21 to 31 March 2022 are welcome to reapply.

To apply:  go to: or call  0800 9176832  

Paper application forms will be available from all libraries. You can either:

  • Email it to
  • Post it to Welfare Support, Torbay Council, Torquay Town Hall, Castle Circus, TQ1 3DS
  • Put it in the Welfare Support postbox on the corner of the Town Hall

The Welfare Support Scheme

The Welfare Support Scheme provides assistance to Torbay residents who require help to meet an essential need. It also aims to assist Torbay residents who need support to establish themselves or maintain their independence in the community.

The welfare support scheme can also consider applications for things such as:

  • Daily living, including fuel costs paid to landlords and food parcels
  • Essential monthly expenditure, which cannot be deferred
  • Essential furniture and white goods including fridges, freezers and ovens (normally only if setting up home)
  • Warm clothing, soap and blankets
  • Boiler service/repair
  • Rent in advance
  • Deposit
  • Rent arrears
  • Emergency removals and storage
  • Essential prescriptions (if you are not exempt: Who can get free prescriptions – NHS (
  • Essential travel that was not expected
  • Items not currently accessible through foodbanks e.g. pet food or special dietary needs
  • Other immediate support necessary for the fundamental wellbeing of the applicant and family

Who can apply? 

To be considered for Welfare Support, you must:

  • be over 15 years of age
  • live in Torbay
  • be on a welfare benefit or have very low disposable income

You may be asked to provide proof of your income, your bank details and other evidence depending on the support you apply for.  

If you are not on a benefit (including Universal Credit), Torbay Council will need to see a bank statement that shows your income

To apply, go to: or call 0800 9176832